Plan for an Easy Move
It is always better to plan and start early.
When small tasks are done every week, a couple of months before you move, you will have a smooth and easier move.
We have researched and found the following helpful tips:
7 to 8 Weeks Before You Move:
Organize through your possessions and decide what items you no longer need.
- Donate or discard items that you don’t need, before the move.
- Have your antiques, fine art and other valuables appraised for insurance purposes.
- Request estimates from professional movers or truck rental companies.
- Set a date for the agent to visually survey your home and prepare an estimate.
- Contact your accountant to find out if any moving expenses are tax deductible.
- Start a file of paperwork related to the move (contacts, receipts, estimates).
- Make any necessary travel arrangements (hotels, airfare, etc.).
- Notify Canada Post or any Postal Service, publications, creditors, banks and others of your change of address.
- Prepare a list of friends, relatives, business firms and others who should be notified of your move.
- Look for sales on packing boxes and buy them, and start packing items that you won’t be needing in the next 2 month.
- Have a "garage sale" or use an online auction service to dispose of unwanted items.
5 to 6 Weeks Before You Move:
- Donate unwanted clothing or household goods to charitable organizations. Obtain receipts showing the items' approximate value for possible tax deductions.
- Begin to use up supplies of canned goods, frozen foods and other household items. Buy only what will be used before moving.
- Contact the utility companies at both your new home and your current home to set up/cancel service.
- Designate an out-of-the-way area in your home as a holding area for packed items.
- Begin packing non-essential items.
- Consult with your insurance agent to determine how your property is insured while it is in transit.
- Make your reservation with the moving company.
3 to 4 Weeks Before You Move:
- Continue packing and Have another moving sale.
- Arrange to close accounts in your local bank and open accounts in your new city.
- If driving, have your car serviced for the trip (check tires, brakes and windshield wipers, fluids, belts, etc.)
- Arrange for local charities to pick up unwanted items (be sure to get a receipt for tax purposes).
- Return any borrowed items and retrieve anything you've loaned to friends or neighbors.
- Make arrangements to have school, medical, dental and veterinary records transferred.
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned. Leave both wrapped when they are returned from the cleaners.
- Do not clean your upholstered furniture before moving. Moisture could cause mold if furniture must be placed in storage.
- If you’re moving out of or into an apartment or condo, contact building management to book an elevator.
1 to 2 Weeks Before You Move
- Continue packing.
- Confirm your reservation with the moving company.
- Place items you plan to move yourself in a separate area to avoid confusion.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing, toiletries, medications, first aid kit etc., for the first night in your new home.
- Set aside a box for essential items like toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, etc., that will be needed immediately after you move in.
- Disconnect, defrost and prepare any appliances that will be moved.
- Drain lawn equipment and power tools of gas and oil and drain garden hoses of water.
- Make sure that you or your representative is present at your old residence to answer the mover's questions.
- Read the bill of lading prepared by your mover carefully before signing it.
- Check your possessions as they are brought into your new home, noting any damage.
- Expect to pay your mover with cash, a certified check unless you have previously negotiated another arrangement.